Burn Permit Information
Open burning can only be achieved with an authorized Burn Permit. Burn Permit will be issued on weekdays from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. at Town Hall or the Fire Station. All requests for Open Burning Permits should be made 3 to 5 days in advance. There is no charge for this permit, but certain regulations and guidelines for burning must be followed. These regulations and guidelines are outlined at the bottom of this page. Burn permits are good for 14 days from the date of issuance. The application must be completed in full. Failure to provide any of the information may result in a delay and/or rejection of the application.
Authorization to burn must be granted on a daily basis prior to ignition, by a representative of Sunnyvale Fire/Rescue by calling 972-203-0314.
Regulations & Guidelines
- Burning permits are issued for the open burning of trees, brush, shrubs, and limbs, solely for the purpose of land clearance. All trash burning is prohibited.
- Authorization to burn will only be granted when the wind speed as forecast by the National Weather Service does not exceed 10 miles per hour (mph).
- Once permission has been granted, no burn permit site shall be left unattended for any period unless the fire has been completely extinguished.
- The burn permit site and the materials to be burned are subject to inspection at any time by any officer of the Sunnyvale Fire/Rescue Department.
- Each person or resident shall be responsible for providing adequate safety precautions to control the open fire.
- Gasoline, Diesel, or any other type of accelerant shall not be used to ignite/maintain the burn pile.
- All burn piles shall be located a minimum of 50 feet from all structures and a minimum of 30 feet from public roadways.
- All burn piles shall be completely extinguished before sundown each day.
- An adequate water supply must be present at all times while burning.
- Any person or resident obtaining a burn permit does so at his/her own risk. In no event shall any liability or damage be imposed upon the organization authorizing the permit if damages and/or injury are sustained as a result of any burning.
- Failure to comply with any provisions of this permit and/or its application may result in the loss of future burning privileges and the issuance of a citation charging the applicant with a direct violation of Town of Sunnyvale adopted ordinances.