May 1, 2021 general Election information
The Town Secretary serves as the Elections Administrator for the Town. Currently the Town contracts with the Dallas County Elections Department for administration and coordination of any regular or special Town elections.
In early 2021, the Town of Sunnyvale will call a General Election to be held on May 1, 2021 for the purpose of electing a Mayor and two Town Councilmembers, designated as Places 5 and 6. The Mayors term is for a period of two years and Councilmember terms are for a period of three years. All incumbents – Saji George, Mayor; Larry Allen, Place 5; and Jonathan Freeman, Place 6 - are eligible to run for re-election.
An informational candidate packet for those who may be interested in learning more about running for Sunnyvale Town Council is also available at Town Hall (127 N. Collins Rd., Town Secretary’s Office). The period for submitting an application for a place on the May 1, 2021 ballot runs from Wednesday, Jan. 13, 2021 through Friday, Feb. 12, 2021.
It is anticipated that the Town of Sunnyvale’s municipal election will again be administered by the Dallas County Elections Administrator, as has been done in past years. Early voting is scheduled for Monday, April 19, 2021 through Tuesday, April 27, 2021. Election Day voting will be held Saturday, May 1, 2021 from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Specific information concerning polling locations and early voting times will be made available on the Town website and on the county Election Administrator’s website as soon as those details become available.
Applications for ballots by mail must be requested from and mailed to the Dallas County Elections Administrator’s Office and received no later than the close of business on April 20, 2021. The address is 1520 Round Table Dr., Dallas, TX 75247.
Please direct questions regarding ballots by mail, voter registration, designated voting locations, voter identification requirements, absentee voting, precincts, etc. to the Dallas County Elections Department by calling (214) 819-6389. Questions concerning the Sunnyvale Town Council municipal election may be directed to Town Secretary Rachel Ramsey, by calling (972) 203-4153 or by email – email@example.com.
Town of Sunnyvale's Elected Officials
- Mayor - Term expires May 2021
- Councilmember Place 1 - Term expires May 2022
- Councilmember Place 2 - Term expires May 2022
- Councilmember Place 3 - Term expires May 2023
- Councilmember Place 4 - Term expires May 2023
- Councilmember Place 5 - Term expires May 2021
- Councilmember Place 6 - Term expires May 2021
Candidate Filings (listed in filing order)
- Saji George
Councilmember Place 5
- Larry Allen
- George Woodrow Jr.
- Wanda Nimer
Councilmember Place 6
- Jonathan Freeman
- Application required;
- Be a United States citizen (Texas Election Code);
- Be a qualified voter in the Town and State;
- Be at least 21 years of age or older on the first day of the term to be filled at the election (Town Charter);
- Be a resident of the Town continuously (in the corporate limits of the Town or recently annexed territory) for 12 months immediately preceding the date of the election;
- Not be in violation of any provision in this Charter;
- Satisfy any other eligibility requirements prescribed by law for the office for which they are a candidate.